The Journey

 Good morning all,


I've been a math teacher for 17 years.  This year, during the pandemic and due to some family health issues, I've become remote, and I mostly tutor online for a school district.  So I decided to make my home office as good as it can be, and thought some of you might want to replicate/modify my setup.

a) The desk - two ikea kitchen carts with a door on top.  This gives me more height than a regular desk, so I can sit comfortably underneath it in any chair.  Then, two adjustable height varidesk standing desks, with a laptop each.

b) The monitor - Viewsonic touchscreen.  Not a SMART board or what I really want, the google Jamboard, but it is effective and, though a little laggy, capable of writing in Jamboard with a tablet.  It is wall mounted (thanks @daviddurocher) and stable, and sits across from my two laptops.

c) The printer is an all in one brother.  It is wonky with wifi setup but works fine as long as you put the usb in it.  I would order a different model next time that has native linux capabilities.

d) The Lenovo usb-c hub - connects my wacom tablet, printer, logitech MX-master 25 mouse, solar keyboard using solaar in ubuntu, to my huawei laptop.  One cable is all it takes to unplug my laptop and use it somewhere else (like now, from my downstairs recliner).

e) MBox audio interface for 2 mic/line in inputs - will EVENTUALLY turn my sound into a studio.  I have a denon receiver too, and decent speakers for playback.  With Jack and calf plugins, I should be able to approximate protools so I can record myself/others.  Unsure if this will replace my Plantronics RIG headset.  I've been very impressed with the range and quality of the plantronics (now poly) sound.

f) Denon stereo receiver with 2 ENERGY-500c speakers.  Not hooked up yet but they will be.  I don't think the denon has video passthrough capability, because when I put a chromecast into it there is no video on the screen.  So instead I'm using a lenovo yoga to drive the smartboard, and no speakers are hooked up yet.


Comments