Silly? Justified? Maybe worth it?

 Good morning,

I recently got a Denon receiver so I can have two things in my home office: a) surround sound and b) hdmi switching and pass-through.  

I have a receiver and two tower speakers hooked up right now, but I have bookshelf and center channel speakers just hanging around, and there's already a smart board/tv.  So it seems like a reasonable thing, sort of.  This means, for a house of 1 occupant, I'll have two surround sound setups.  The downstairs one is driven by:

a) chromecast (the new one, with the remote, which WON'T JOIN A SPEAKER GROUP BECAUSE GOOGLE LOST A SUIT TO SONOS).  This seems kind of laggy/underpowered, compared with the xbox at least.

b) chromecast, the old one, so I can still make a speaker group.  Annoying.  

c) xbox (out of service until I get a new controller - I dropped mine and it won't stop scrolling now.  Annoying).

It is all sent to a pioneer receiver, which drives b&w speakers - two towers, a center, and two rear/bookshelf speakers.  Way overkill but they sound lovely.  

I think I may split the hdmi, so I get a toshiba tv on the wall (for days when the sun is too bright) and a projector with a wall white screen.  This burnt a bulb out, so it needs repair right now.


Upstairs: the build will be the denon, which can be fed by: 

a)huawei running windows or ubuntu, 

b) lenovo yoga 13

c) chromecast (for whole house sound, older generation)

The speakers are more generic, cheaper ones but they sound decent and have double inputs, will be nicer with the subwoofer.  I also have two rears, polk I think.  Since one of the reasons for this setup is a sound studio, there will also be two monitors attached to the audio interface (M-audio).

There is a small speaker that is google, just an alarm clock but it sounds ok.  There's also a lenovo google screen that I use in my bedroom.  So full house audio should include all of that, ideally, when it's all on a speaker group.

Comments